Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Technology is a Must!

Using technology is clearly a skill that is demanded by many employers. I feel that most students can find access through public libraries, friends, or special arrangements can be made. I don’t think that it is fair to students to use the lack of outside access to limit their technological advancement. So I would say no, outside access is not a problem.
I would be doing a great disservice to all of my students including those with limited or no outside access if I did not use technology. Students will find a way to gain access or find time during school to use computers. If they need to work during lunch or during study hall they can. It is not unreasonable to make special circumstances for those who need it. We do it all the time why not do it with technology.
Besides offering school time and a list of outside locations such as the library or internet cafés, I would try to arrange a lab top checkout program through the school. This would not be a large program because most would have access but allow for those that are less fortunate gain experience for their future.
Technology is the way of the future. If families can’t afford to have it at home and we do not teach it, we are simple creating a technological rut. If jobs pay more with these skills we need to give all of our kids the chance to get those jobs. It is simple we want the best for our kids.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with what you are saying about providing them extra time during school to use the technology. We do provide extra time for other subjects from time to time so I see no reason to not allow that time for disadvantaged students to maximize the resources available to them. How would you personally help the students though? How would use as their teacher provide them with that access? I think you have the right idea and are heading in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that proficiency in the use of technology is a skill demanded by most employers. Students can find access to the internet and computers through the library or friends. I'm more interested in how you, as a teacher, are specifically going to implement the use of technology in your classroom.

    ReplyDelete